Thursday, October 20, 2005

Diversity Overcomes Evil

I just want to take a moment and share how proud I am of the people I work with and the students who attend the local university. They stepped up in force yesterday and confronted the faces of evil.

Judy Shepard, the mother of Mathew Shepard - a young gay male who was murdered in 1998 in a violent hate crime - was scheduled to speak on this campus yesterday. Word got out that the vigilante church group based out of Kansas - Westboro Baptist Church - had intentions of showing up to protest her speaking engagement. Fliers were distributed about the protest, which stated all types of nasty things, not the worst of which was "her son has been in hell since 1998" and "God Hates Fags". Give me an F'in break.

Well, let me just say that the students and workforce in our small town community banded together on the opposite side of the street and out-protested the protestors at least 10-to-1. I commend everyone who stood up for loving kindness, freedom and unity.

No comments: