Thursday, March 30, 2006

Pathetic Apathy

Apathy: n.
  1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.
  2. Lack of emotion or feeling; impassiveness.
Apathy has been a hot topic of late in the local college newspapers. Students today are charged with being one of the most apathetic groups around, especially when it comes to studying and voting. Generally, I don't disagree; apathy is rampant in college-aged peoples, as they are usually more concerned about drinking and partying, than studying and graduating.

However, I can't help but question the apathy of the rest of the general population, as well as my own. I mean, for starters, we have a president in office with one of the lowest approval ratings in history, yet what are we doing about it? Several other issues come to mind: tax cuts for the richest 1%, increases for the other 99%; legal challenges to Roe v. Wade, persistent existence and denial (by whites) of racism, the inevitable "glass ceiling" for women in the workplace...the list could go on and on.

One group that I also think is worth mentioning is apathetic parents. It is the younger generation of parents today, i.e. those in their 20's/early 30's, that do not seem (to me) to have a real grip on what the role of a parent is.

I am not, of course, talking about YOU, specifically. Please do not take offense to what I am about to say, as I do not mean any disrespect to you or your parenting methods. This is simply an observation of those around me.

When I watch parents of this age group tend to their children, it is oftentimes with rebuke or disdain, leaving the child to tend to themself. A littany of "no's" followed by "go play" is not what I consider to be parenting. Several women I know in this age group are single mothers, and although I sympathize with their plight and cannot imagine having to raise one or two children alone at such a young age, it seems they are missing some key ingredient to raising their children without having to resort to physical or emotional abuse/neglect. Personally, I see that key ingredient they are missing as organization. They, themselves, are not organized in their daily routine, they're not used to getting up early, nor are they akin to focusing on something other than theirself.

But, do they ever question themself? Do they ever wonder if their child's behavior is a direct result of their own apathy? Do they really know how seriously deep those effects root themselves in their children?

No. They don't. Why? Because they don't care, so long as they can get [insert selfish want here].

I think apathy is usually a result of selfishness. Why aren't people standing up and fighting for their rights anymore? Because we've all got more "important" things to take care of in our personal lives. We've all heard the saying, "you gotta look out for #1 first", and if you always put yourself first, you'll never be looking out for anyone. Particularly when what effects everyone else also affects us personally.

3 comments:

Chas Ravndal said...

happy weekend to you! michele sent me!

Sue said...

thanks for visiting my blog -- I used to run to the apathetic side but lately -- I have to fight -- need to fight - must fight :) have a great weekend

Malinda777 said...

Sometimes we fall on opposite sides of the fence, but this is an excellent post. Fighting for our rights and what we believe has definately taken an apathetic course over the last few years.

I agree, we need to take a stand, the more together the better, or the things we have always hated is what we will become due to sheer apathy. Nice post.